Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Global warming consensus claim does(n’t) stand up

In another masterpiece of objectivity, The Australian re-ran Richard Tol's attack on John Cook's 2013 paper in a column entitled Global warming consensus claim doesn’t stand up. It is well worth reading the rebuttal of Tol's claims on the SkepticalScience blog posted on June 4, 2014 (over 9 months ago). 

The weirdest thing is that Tol's critique explicitly acknowledges the expert consensus on human-caused global warming is real and accurate. In the conclusion of his Energy Policy paper, Tol (2014) writes:
There is no doubt in my mind that the literature on climate change overwhelmingly supports the hypothesis that climate change is caused by humans. I have very little reason to doubt that the consensus is indeed correct.
Strangely, this was not mentioned in The Australian. Which leaves the question "Why he is doing this?" According to Tol, his only option was to make a "destructive comment", clearly something that appeals to biases of the editorial team at The Australian. Unfortunately, his work is substandard and fails to substantiate the claims he makes ...

1 comment:

  1. I neatly split my sides laughing when I read the last paragraph of Tol's dullard hackery.

    Resorting to personal insults to challenge a scientific argument is the last resort of the ignorant. Tol might as well have just ended with 'yeah, but you're ugly.'

    Teasing out and exaggerating a few examples of flawed practices in the vast body of science around climate change is equivalent to arguing that 3% of dissenting scientists prove the other 97% wrong.

    For the sake of the University of Sussex and the Vrije University, I hope Tol is a better economist than he is a writer, debater or ethicist.

    ReplyDelete